Monday, July 6, 2009

So, just some background on the trip! I am off on July 17, returning home August 21. After spending the last year in the frozen tundra of Nunavut, I figured this would be a welcomed relief. I am a little sad that I am not home in Newfoundland longer, as I really enjoy the summers here. I look forward to returning in August to MC the wedding of a dear friend. Fun times.

As the trip stands now, I am meeting Alan in Amsterdam July 18. Anyone who knows me well will know that Alan and I have been friends forever. This is a special trip for us both, as we have always talked about a road trip together! After meeting in Amsterdam, and sampling some of the local flavors, we are off to Paris for a couple days. I am looking forward to seeing the Belgian countryside as we pass, and again, sampling some of what Paris has to offer. Alan and I have decided to rent a car in Paris and drive cross country. We figured it would be the best way to see the real culture and landscape....and to act like foolish youngsters! After driving through the Pyrenees Mountains, we arrive in the city of Perpignon, on the Spanish border. From there, we make our way to Barcelona, then on to Malaga where we meet Alans family. After a week in Malaga sunning and, again, sampling the local flavors, I am off on my own!!

Leaving Alan in Malaga, I fly to London for a couple of days of sightseeing - then on to Nairobi, via Istanbul. In Nairobi I will have the opportunity to visit the David Sheldrick elephant orphanage. Here, young elephants, whos mothers have been poached for ivory, are cared for. My journey to Tanzania starts a couple days later. In Tanzania, I am hiking and camping for about two weeks, including an attempt at Mt. Kilimanjaro. The climb itself is 6 days long, and I am really looking forward to the challenge. I would be happy to say I tried - a successful summit would be an added bonus! Following the climb comes camping/safari in the national parks and finally a couple days rest in Zanzibar.

Well, that is some background. For those who are actually reading, I hope I am not too much of a douche for doing this. It is more a record for me, as I hate journal writing. Hope all is well with you!

Rene

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Rene... I look forward to reading about your travels, and be sure to keep yourself in one piece as we need you for the wedding ;)

    ReplyDelete